Anyone who buys, sells or exchanges 6 or more vehicles in a year must be licensed as a motor vehicle trader.
A motor vehicle trader licence is valid for 3 years. Find out more about:
The Motor Vehicle Traders Act 2011 (external link) provides for the licensing of motor vehicle traders, regulates the conduct of motor vehicle traders and their sales persons and ensures the rights of anyone who purchases certain motor vehicles are adequately protected.
It provides for warranties on certain new and used motor vehicles and allows for the regulation of park and sell operators.
Renewing a motor vehicle trader licence
You cannot trade as a Motor Vehicle Trader if you do not hold a current licence.
You will receive a renewal reminder notice in the mail approximately 12 weeks before the expiry date on your licence card. Email reminder notices will also be sent approximately every 4 weeks thereafter, until a renewal application is received or the licence expires.
If the option to Renew your licence is no longer available through your My Licence account, you will need to submit a new application online.
An expired licence cannot be renewed.
To learn more about applying for a motor vehicle trader licence, please read the Guide to licensing services for Motor Vehicle Traders June 2018 (PDF, 2.2 MB).
- Read the information on this licence page so you know what to do and what documents to provide (new application and renewal)
- Read the Personal Information Protection Statement (new application and renewal)
- Prove your identity at any Service Tasmania shop and take with you the application or payment receipt (download or print online) and your identification.
- Give consent for us to order you a National Police record check (new application and renewal)
- Scan and save (computer or storage device like a USB) a digital copy of a certified copy from the National Personal Insolvency Index (external link) (bankruptcy report) dated within the previous 3 months and upload this to the application at the Supporting Information tab, (new application and renewal).
- If you have a Company, scan and save a current ASIC search showing all Directors and Secretary/s of the company and upload this to the application at the Supporting Information tab. The search can be accessed by using the following external link (new application and renewal)
- Ensure all Company Directors, Secretary/s showing on the ASIC search are added to the licence application at the Associated Client tab, (new application and renewal)
- Or if you have a business name only, provide a business name search showing business owners and upload this to the application at the Supporting Information tab. The search can be accessed by using the following external link (new application and renewal)
- Ensure all business owners are added to the licence application at the Associated Client tab, (new application and renewal)
- Have a credit card ready to pay for your licence fee online or at any Service Tasmania shop. (new application and renewal)
When you are completing your online application or renewal, you will need to answer a set of suitability questions. If you answer YES to any of these, you must provide a reason why.
This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.