Apply for a licence

The Motor Vehicle Traders Act 2011 provides for the licensing of motor vehicle traders, regulates the conduct of motor vehicle traders and their sales persons and ensures the rights of anyone who purchases certain motor vehicles are adequately protected. It provides for warranties on certain new and used motor vehicles and allows for the regulation of park and sell operators.

Anyone who buys, sells or exchanges 6 or more vehicles in a year must be licensed as a motor vehicle trader.

How to apply for a licence

Complete an Application for a Motor Vehicle Trader Licence form (pdf, 338.8 KB)

Additional information to supply with application form:


See the list of current fees for a motor vehicle trader licence

Lodging or posting forms

  • Lodge at any Service Tasmania shop
  • Post to:
    • Consumer, Building and Occupational Services
      PO Box 56
      Rosny Park TAS 7018

Definition of a motor vehicle

The Motor Vehicle Traders Act 2011 specifies the types of vehicles sold by a motor vehicle trader, which are covered by the Act.

Types of vehicles covered by the Act include:

  • cars
  • vans
  • four wheel drives
  • utilities
  • road registrable motorcycles
  • scooters
  • motor trikes
  • campervans

Types of vehicles NOT covered by the Act:

  • trailers
  • caravans
  • quad bikes
  • non-road registrable motor bikes
  • commercial vehicles
  • machinery such as tractors or backhoes
  • motor homes

Search for a licensed motor vehicle trader