You need a contractor licence if you intend to sell automotive gas-fitting services to the public, business or government.
A contracting licence cannot be approved without a Nominated Manager. If the proposed electrical nominated manager has not been a nominated manager in Australia or New Zealand within the last 3 years, a Statement of Attainment/Results will need to be attached for the relevant training (Management of an Electrical Contractors business).
The contractor must list a Nominated Manager. This person may be the owner if they are licensed at the same level as the contractor licence they have applied for.
- Read the information on this licence page so you know what to do and what documents to provide
- Read the Personal Information Protection Statement
- Provide evidence of your identity (new application and renewals when your licence photo has expired)
- Have a photo taken for your licence card at any Service Tasmania shop (external link) (Tasmanian applicants only)
- Interstate and overseas applicants will need to provide a passport size photo certified by a Commissioner for Declarations or a Justice of the Peace (JP).
- Scan and save (computer or digital storage device like a USB) a digital cop of your certificate of currency for insurance (must be in trading name and cover personal injury and damage to property of at least $15 million for any once occurrence for Public Liability) (new applications only)
- Scan and save (computer or digital storage device like a USB) a digital copy of your company or business name registration (if using a name other than your own personal name) (new applications only)
- You will need to confirm that you have undertaken Continuing Professional Development (CPD) (renewals only)
- Have a credit card ready to pay for your licence fee online or at Service Tasmania shop (external link).
If your application is successful, you will receive confirmation within 21 days.
If you answer ‘yes’ to any of the questions below, you will need to provide details and copies of all relevant documentation.
In the last 10 years has the company/business or the owner(s) or Director(s) of the company/business:
- Been convicted of an offence of dishonesty or of an offence relating to prescribed work? (If an Infringement Notice relating to prescribed work has been issued to the company/business or to the owner(s) or Director(s), you should tick yes)
- Settled a civil action or had a civil judgment given against them in their capacity as a contractor?
- Had a licence / registration / certificate relating to prescribed work refused, disqualified, cancelled or suspended?
- Had conditions placed on a licence / registration / certificate relating to prescribed work?
- Been declared bankrupt, been discharged from bankruptcy, entered into arrangements with creditors or assigned their property to pay debts?
- been subject to a winding up order or had a controller appointed or been placed in receivership, administration or under official management or entered into other arrangements with creditors due to insolvency?
- Is the company/business insolvent or in receivership?
Apply for a licence Renew a licence