Plumbing for consumers

Plumbing laws help protect and improve the health, safety and well-being of Tasmanians.

You need a permit from the council permit authority unless the described work is low-risk or medium-risk (notifiable work) under the Building Regulations 2016 (external link).

Work you can do without a permit

If you are an owner of a building that needs work, you can do the following work on your own home only or use a non-licensed qualified contractor or contract a licensed plumber (Category 1).

  • repair and or replace tapware, shower head or shower hose (like for like) except for vegetable spray mixer, shower spray on hose
  • replace domestic water filter cartridge (like for like)
  • replace potable water tanks (like for like) using the same pumps, connections and pipework
  • put in a household or commercial irrigation and lawn watering system (connected to a network utilities reticulated water supply)
  • remove and replace caps to ground level inspection openings for sewage or stormwater drains or grates on stormwater pits and channels
  • unblock toilets, showers or other plumbing fixtures with a handheld plunger

Important note: Doing plumbing work that is not listed in Category 1 must be done by a licensed plumber.  Penalties apply.

A Plumbing Permit will also be required for plumbing work in:

  1. Hazardous areas (including landslip-prone areas)  and
  2. If there special requirements of a locality; examples are:c
    1. combined drainage area and the combined sewerage and stormwater system (within the Launceston City area)
    2. sewer drainage and stormwater disposal in Karst (limestone) landscape areas (within the Meander Valley municipality).

Search for a licensed plumber

Search now to find a plumber licensed to operate in Tasmania

Updated: 09 Jun 2020