If you smell gas in your home
- Do not operate any appliance (gas and electrical)
- Turn off all gas appliances
- Turn off the supply at the gas meter or LP Gas cylinders
- Open all doors and windows for ventilation
- Evacuate your home
- If the smell remains after turning off the gas, make sure you are in a safe location and immediately contact:
- emergency services on 000 and
- your gas supplier’s gas leak and emergency number. This is usually found on your account invoice.
- Keep people away from the affected area
- If the smell stops contact your licensed gas-fitter to repair your gas installation and relight you appliances
- If you suspect a gas leak, do not use any naked flame or other source of ignition. Ignition sources include light switches, power points, mobile phones, pagers and cigarettes.
- Isolate power at the main switchboard
Who to contact if you damage a gas pipe
If you damage a natural gas pipe or you smell gas in your street you should make sure you are in a safe location and immediately call Tas Gas Networks gas leak and emergency number on 1802 111.