A provisional electrical licence is granted for overseas people only. The licence is issued for 12 months only. You must undertake supervised work to get experience working to Australian Standards and complete the required gap training.
To gain a provisional electrical practitioner licence the applicant must:
- be issued with an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) assessment issued under the Trades Recognition Service (external link) guidelines by one of the organisations approved to conduct OTSR assessments:
- Have an assessment of gap training done by a Registered Training Organisation. In Tasmania this training is currently offered by TasTAFE (external link).
- Enrol with a Registered Training Organisation to complete the gap training that has been identified.
- Read the information on this licence page so you know what to do and what documents to provide
- Read the Personal Information Protection Statement
- Provide evidence of your identity (new application and renewal when your licence photo has expired)
- Scan and save (computer or storage device like a USB) a digital copy of your OTSR assessment and evidence of enrolment in gap training (new application only)
- You will need to confirm that you have undertaken Continuing Professional Development (CPD) (renewal only)
- Have a credit card ready to pay for licence fee online or at any Service Tasmania shop (external link)
- Been refused a licence / registration / certificate to carry out any type of prescribed work?
- Had a licence / registration / certificate relating to prescribed work disqualified, cancelled, suspended?
- Had conditions placed on a licence / registration / certificate relating to prescribed work?
- Been dismissed by an employer for any type of unsafe or defective prescribed work?
- Had disciplinary action taken against you by an employer for any type unsafe prescribed work?
- Been convicted of an offence of dishonesty or of an offence relating to prescribed work? (If you have been issued with an Infringement Notice relating to prescribed work, you should tick yes).