Electrical licence - provisional

There are four electrical licence types:

  1. Electrical practitioner licence
  2. Electrical contractor licence
  3. Electrical restricted licence
  4. Electrical provisional licence

This page has information about provisional electrical work licences only. Click on the links above for information about the other electrical licences.

Licence requirement and scope

A provisional electrical work licence may be issued to allow a person to complete their training to enable them to obtain an electrical practitioners licence as an electrician, cable jointer or lineworker. This is usually to allow people who have moved to Tasmania from overseas to complete gap training to become eligible for an electrical practitioners licence in Tasmania.

Holders of provisional electrical work licences can only perform work within the scope of their licence. They must also be supervised by a person who holds an electrical practitioners licence for that scope of work. They must not supervise any other person who is performing electrical work. They also must not sign any forms relating to recording or notifying electrical work, such as a Certificate of Electrical Compliance (CEC).


To gain a provisional electrical practitioner licence the applicant must:

  1. Be issued with an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) assessment as an electrical practitioner issued under the Trades Recognition Service (external link) guidelines by one of the organisations approved to conduct OTSR assessments. This includes:
  2. Have an assessment of gap training done by a Registered Training Organisation. In Tasmania this training is currently offered by TasTAFE (external link).
  3. Enrol with a Registered Training Organisation to complete the required gap training.

A provisional electrical licence may also be issued to a person who has made substantial progress towards qualifying as an electrical practitioner and is likely to become eligible within 12 months of the provisional licence being granted. This must be demonstrated in the application and is determined by the Administrator of Occupational Licensing.

The eligibility requirements for provisional electrical work licences can be found in the Occupational Licensing -Electrical Work Licence Classes Determination V1.0 Dec 2016.

CPD (Continuing Professional Development)

As a licence holder, you are required to maintain and develop skills and knowledge through ongoing learning activities known as Continuing Professional Development or CPD. Find out more information about CPD points, training providers, CPD events calendar and training resources.

How to apply

  1. Read the information on this licence page so you know what to do and what documents to provide
  2. Read the Personal Information Protection Statement
  3. Start your licence application through the My Licence portal:
  4. Apply for a licence Renew a licence

  5. Provide evidence of your identity
  6. Have a photo taken for your licence card at any Service Tasmania shop (external link) (new Tasmanian applicants only)
  7. Interstate and overseas applicants will need to provide a passport size photo certified by a Commissioner for Declarations or a Justice of the Peace (JP).
  8. Scan and upload a copy of the required offshore technical skills record, RTO assessment of gap training required and evidence of enrolment in the gap training
  9. Upload evidence of who will supervise you in performing your work including their electrical practitioners licence details and a letter from them confirming that they will supervise your work
  10. Answer the other licence declaration questions (more details below)
  11. Have a credit card ready to pay for your licence fee online or at any Service Tasmania shop. For current fees, visit our Licence, registration and accreditation fees page.

You will receive notification of your application outcome within 21 days.


You need to complete a declaration as part of applying for your licence.

If you answer ‘yes’ to any of the questions below, you will need to provide details and copies of all relevant documentation.

In the last 5 years have you:

  1. Been refused a licence/registration/certificate to carry out any type of prescribed work?
  2. Had a licence/registration/certificate relating to prescribed work disqualified, cancelled, suspended?
  3. Had conditions placed on a licence/registration/certificate relating to prescribed work?
  4. Been dismissed by an employer for any type of unsafe or defective prescribed work?
  5. Been convicted of an offence of dishonesty or of an offence relating to prescribed work? (If you have been issued with an Infringement Notice relating to prescribed work, you should tick yes).
  6. Do you have any disability that will affect your ability to perform prescribed work safely?
  7. Have you undertaken Continuous Professional Development during the last licence period?
  8. Is there a record that Continuous Professional Development has been completed?

Apply for a licence Renew a licence

Related information

Updated: 14 Sep 2022

This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.