- Practitioner - you need a practitioner licence if you wish to undertake plumbing work. This includes if you are an employee of a business who is engaging in plumbing work.
- Contractor - you need a contractor licence if you intend to sell plumbing services to the public, business or government. Only plumber certifiers are eligible to apply for a contractor licence.
- Provisional – a provisional plumbing licence is granted for overseas people only. A provisional plumbing work licence can be issued to allow for the completion of training to gain a qualification or training relevant to the eligibility to gaining a practitioner licence.
If you are applying more than 3 years after you have received your plumbing qualification, or more than 3 years after you held a licence in the class you intend to apply for, you must satisfy the Administrator of Occupational Licensing that you have the current competencies to perform that class of plumbing work.
If your qualification is older than 3 years and you have not been in the industry during this time, you will need to approach a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) and undergo a training assessment and do the 'refresher' training required. First ask CBOS which units you require then contact an RTO (such as TasTAFE) to organise training.
You should provide a letter from your last plumbing employer who can provide CBOS with confirmation that you worked in the plumbing industry up to when your licence expired.
Renewing an expired practitioner’s licence
- Read the information on this licence page so you know what to do and what documents to provide
- Read the Personal Information Protection Statement
- Provide evidence of your identity (new application only)
- Scan and save (computer or storage device like a USB) a digital copy of your Certificate III and/or IV Qualification (new application only)
- Scan and save (computer or storage device like a USB) a digital copy of your Statement of Results (new application only)
- You will need to confirm that you have undertaken Continuing Professional Development (CPD) (renewal only)
- Have a credit card ready to pay for your licence fee online or at any Service Tasmania shop (external link)
- Been refused a licence / registration / certificate to carry out any type of prescribed work?
- Had a licence / registration / certificate relating to prescribed work disqualified, cancelled, suspended?
- Had conditions placed on a licence / registration / certificate relating to prescribed work?
- Been dismissed by an employer for any type of unsafe or defective prescribed work?
- Had disciplinary action taken against you by an employer for any type unsafe prescribed work?
- Been convicted of an offence of dishonesty or of an offence relating to prescribed work? (If you have been issued with an Infringement Notice relating to prescribed work, you should tick yes).