Electrical licence - practitioner

There are four electrical licence types:

  1. Electrical practitioner licence
  2. Electrical contractor licence
  3. Electrical restricted licence
  4. Electrical provisional licence

This page has information about electrical practitioner licences only. Click on the links above for information about the other electrical licences.

Licence requirement and scope

You need an electrical practitioner licence if you are doing electrical work. This includes if you are employed by a business to perform electrical work.

The different types of electrical practitioner licences in Tasmania include electrician, cable jointer and line worker. Each licence allows you to perform different types of work. The Occupational Licensing - Electrical Work Licence Classes Determination (PDF, 457.0 KB) has more information on the licence types.

If you hold an electrical practitioners licence in another State or Territory, you may be eligible to have that licence automatically recognised in Tasmania. The Working as an Electrician in Tasmania - Information for AMR deemed registrations (PDF, 209.8 KB) infosheet has more information on this.

If you are contracting for electrical work, you also need an electrical contractors licence. Visit the Electrical contractor licence page for more information.


To be eligible for an electrical practitioners licence you need to meet the minimum qualification and experience requirements.

The minimum requirements can be found in the Occupational Licensing - Electrical Work Licence Classes Determination (PDF, 457.0 KB)

The current approved courses of training can be found in the Approved training courses Determination (PDF, 498.2 KB).

Renewing an expired practitioner licence

You cannot renew a licence if it expired more than 60 days ago.  You are required to submit a new application.

If your licence expired more than 3 years ago you will need to provide evidence that you remain competent to perform electrical work. You can do this by completing an electrical competency assessment.

Contact a registered training organisation and arrange to sit the assessment, for example, TasTAFE (external link) in Tasmania. You will need to attach evidence to your application that you have successfully completed the assessment as part of renewing your expired licence.

Continuing Professional Development (CPD)

As a licence holder, you are required to maintain and develop skills and knowledge through ongoing learning activities known as Continuing Professional Development (CPD). Visit our CPD pages for more information about CPD points, training providers and our CPD events calendar.

How to apply

  1. Read the information on this licence page so you know what to do and what documents to provide
  2. Read the Personal Information Protection Statement
  3. Start your licence application through the My Licence portal:

      Apply for a licence Renew a licence

  4. Provide evidence of your identity (new application only)
  5. Have a photo taken for your licence card at any Service Tasmania shop (external link) (new Tasmanian applicants only)
    1. Interstate and overseas applicants will need to provide a passport size photo certified by a Commissioner for Declarations or a Justice of the Peace (JP).
  6. Scan and upload a digital copy of the required Certificate III qualification and your academic transcript (new application only)
  7. Confirm that you have undertaken Continuing Professional Development (CPD) (renewal only)
  8. Answer the other licence declaration questions (more details below)
  9. Have a credit card ready to pay for your licence fee online or at any Service Tasmania shop. For current fees, visit our Licence, registration and accreditation fees page.

You will receive notification of your application outcome within 21 days.


You need to complete a declaration as part of applying for your licence.

If you answer ‘yes’ to any of the questions below, you will need to provide details and copies of all relevant documentation.

In the last 5 years have you:

  1. Been refused a licence/registration/certificate to carry out any type of prescribed work?
  2. Had a licence/registration/certificate relating to prescribed work disqualified, cancelled, suspended?
  3. Had conditions placed on a licence/registration/certificate relating to prescribed work?
  4. Been dismissed by an employer for any type of unsafe or defective prescribed work?
  5. Been convicted of an offence of dishonesty or of an offence relating to prescribed work? (If you have been issued with an Infringement Notice relating to prescribed work, you should tick yes).
  6. Do you have any disability that will affect your ability to perform prescribed work safely?
  7. Have you undertaken Continuous Professional Development during the last licence period?
  8. Is there a record that Continuous Professional Development has been completed?

Working in Tasmania

When performing electrical work in Tasmania, you need to comply with Tasmanian requirements. A Guide - Information for Electrical Contractors and Nominated Managers is available.

Related information

Updated: 08 Sep 2022

This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.