A restricted electrical licence allows some electrical work to be undertaken e.g. refrigeration and air conditioning, motors, and composite equipment.
A contracting licence is not required for restricted electrical licence holders.
If you completed your training more than three years ago, you need to contact TasTafe (external link) or another Registered Training Organisation to undertake further and/or refresher training. Contact CBOS who can advise you in writing (by email) exactly what further/refresher training you need to complete.
Mutual recognition is available for interstate applicants holding a current restricted electrical licence.
- Read the information on this licence page so you know what to do and which documents to provide
- Read the Personal Information Protection Statement
- Provide evidence of your identity (new application only)
- Have a photo taken for your licence card at any Service Tasmania shop (external link) (Tasmanian applicants only)
- Interstate and overseas applicants will need to provide a passport size photo certified by a Commissioner for Declarations or a Justice of the Peace (JP).
- Scan and save (computer or storage device like a USB) a digital copy of a certified passport sized photograph and Certified Evidence of Identification (ID) (restricted electrical only)
- Scan and save (computer or storage device like a USB) a digital copy of your Results / Statement of Attainment for the relevant disconnect / reconnect training (restricted electrical only)
- Scan and save (computer or storage device like a USB) a digital copy of a letter from your employer outlining the reasons why a licence is required (restricted electrical only)
- You will need to confirm that you have undertaken Continuing Professional Development (CPD) (renewal only)
- Have a credit card ready to pay for your licence fee online or at Service Tasmania shop (external link).
- Read the Electrical work licence classes determination 2016 with your employer to determine the class of licence required e.g. refrigeration and air conditioning, motors, composite equipment or others
- Contact TasTafe, and complete the required restricted electrical training course/s
- Get a written letter from your employer outlining the work to be performed and the reasons why it should be performed by the applicant
- A statutory Declaration is needed if self employed explaining your demonstrated need for a licence
If your application is successful, you will receive confirmation within 21 days.
If you answer ‘yes’ to any of the questions below, you will need to provide details and copies of all relevant documentation.
In the last 10 years have you:
- Been refused a licence / registration / certificate to carry out any type of prescribed work?
- Had a licence / registration / certificate relating to prescribed work disqualified, cancelled, suspended?
- Had conditions placed on a licence / registration / certificate relating to prescribed work?
- Been dismissed by an employer for any type of unsafe or defective prescribed work?
- Had disciplinary action taken against you by an employer for any type unsafe prescribed work?
- Been convicted of an offence of dishonesty or of an offence relating to prescribed work? (If you have been issued with an Infringement Notice relating to prescribed work, you should tick yes).
Do you have any disability that will affect your ability to perform prescribed work safely?
Apply for a licence Renew a licence