Electrical licence - restricted

There are four electrical licence types:

  1. Electrical practitioner licence
  2. Electrical contractor licence
  3. Electrical restricted licence
  4. Electrical provisional licence

This page has information about restricted electrical work licences only. Click on the links above for information about the other electrical licences.

Licence requirement and scope

restricted electrical work licence allows licence holders to perform certain limited electrical work to enable them to carry out their primary trade. Generally it enables a licence holder to disconnect a particular item of equipment, work on it, and then reconnect it.

The different types of restricted electrical work licences in Tasmania include:

  • Refrigeration and air conditioning
  • Instrumentation and control
  • Electronics and communication
  • Water heaters
  • Composite equipment
  • Control devices
  • Gas appliances
  • Motors
  • Explosion protection equipment

The Occupational Licensing - Electrical Work Licence Classes Determination (PDF, 457.0 KB) has more information on the licence types and the work which can be performed under each licence.

If you hold a restricted electrical work licence in another State or Territory, you may be eligible to have that licence automatically recognised in Tasmania. The Working as an Electrician in Tasmania - Information for AMR deemed registrations (PDF, 209.8 KB) infosheet has more information on this.

Restricted electrical work licence holders are not required to hold an electrical contractors licence to contract for that restricted work.


To be eligible for a restricted electrical work licence you need to meet the minimum qualification and experience requirements.

This includes:

  • Completing the approved course of training or unit(s) relevant to the licence type
  • Providing evidence of a current qualification, trade and/or calling relevant to the licence type as required
  • Providing a written statement from your employer (or a statutory declaration if self-employed) outlining the work to be performed, and why it’s relevant to your primary work

The minimum requirements can be found in the Occupational Licensing - Electrical Work Licence Classes Determination (PDF, 457.0 KB)

The current approved courses of training can be found in the Approved training courses Determination (PDF, 498.2 KB).

Renewing an expired licence

You cannot renew a licence if it expired more than 60 days ago. You are required to submit a new application.

If your licence expired more than three years ago, or you completed your restricted electrical work course/unit more than three years ago and haven’t been licensed in the meantime, you will need to provide evidence that you remain competent to perform the restricted electrical work. You will need to contact TasTafe (external link) or another Registered Training Organisation to undertake further and/or refresher training. You can contact us for information on the further/refresher training you may need to complete.

CPD (Continuing Professional Development)

As a licence holder, you are required to maintain and develop skills and knowledge through ongoing learning activities known as Continuing Professional Development or CPD. Find out more information about CPD points, training providers, CPD events calendar and training resources.


  1. Read the information on this licence page so you know what to do and what documents to provide
  2. Read the Personal Information Protection Statement
  3. Start your licence application through the My Licence portal:

    Apply for a licence Renew a licence

  4. Provide evidence of your identity (new application only)
  5. Have a photo taken for your licence card at any Service Tasmania shop (external link) (new Tasmanian applicants only)
    1. Interstate and overseas applicants will need to provide a passport size photo certified by a Commissioner for Declarations or a Justice of the Peace (JP).
  6. Scan and upload a copy of the required certificate for your relevant training course or unit(s) (new application only)
  7. Scan and upload evidence of your current qualification, trade and/or calling relevant to the licence type as required (new application only)
  8. Scan and upload a copy of the letter from your employer, or statutory declaration if self-employed, regarding the work to be performed and why it’s relevant to your primary work (new application only)
  9. Confirm that you have undertaken Continuing Professional Development (CPD) (renewal only)
  10. Answer the other licence declaration questions (more details below)
  11. Have a credit card ready to pay for your licence fee online or at any Service Tasmania shop. For current fees, visit our Licence, registration and accreditation fees page.

You will receive notification of your application outcome within 21 days.


You need to complete a declaration as part of applying for your licence.

If you answer ‘yes’ to any of the questions below, you will need to provide details and copies of all relevant documentation.

In the last five years have you:

  1. Been refused a licence/registration/certificate to carry out any type of prescribed work?
  2. Had a licence/registration/certificate relating to prescribed work disqualified, cancelled, suspended?
  3. Had conditions placed on a licence/registration/certificate relating to prescribed work?
  4. Been dismissed by an employer for any type of unsafe or defective prescribed work?
  5. Been convicted of an offence of dishonesty or of an offence relating to prescribed work? (If you have been issued with an Infringement Notice relating to prescribed work, you should tick yes).
  6. Do you have any disability that will affect your ability to perform prescribed work safely?
  7. Have you undertaken Continuous Professional Development during the last licence period?
  8. Is there a record that Continuous Professional Development has been completed?

Related information

Updated: 15 Sep 2022

This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.