You need this licence if you work for a business that installs, services and repairs automotive and stationary gas fuel systems. The licence restricts you to performing gas-fitting on automotive, mobile and stationary engines and does not extend to other kinds of gas-fitting.
There are four types of licences:
- Auto gas-fitter practitioner licence
- Auto gas-fitter contractor licence
- Auto gas-fitter provisional restricted
- Auto gas-fitter restricted
You need a practitioner licence if you wish to undertake automotive gas-fitting work. This includes if you are an employee of a contractor engaging in automotive gas-fitting work.
Renewing an Expired Practitioner licence
You cannot renew a licence if it has expired for more than 60 days. You are required to submit a new application.
If your licence has been expired for more than 2 years you will need to provide your qualifications with your application. This is to assess your suitability to work in the industry since you were last licensed.
CPD (Continuing Professional Development)
As a licence holder, you are required to maintain and develop skills and knowledge through ongoing learning activities known as Continuing Professional Development or CPD. Find out more information about CPD points, training providers, CPD events calendar and training resources.
Checklist when applying for, and renewing an Auto gas-fitting practitioner licence
- Read the information on this licence page so you know what to do and what documents to provide
- Read the Personal Information Protection Statement
- Provide evidence of your identity (new applications only)
- Have a photo taken for your licence card at any Service Tasmania shop (external link) (Tasmanian applicants only)
- Interstate and overseas applicants will need to provide a passport size photo certified by a Commissioner for Declarations or a Justice of the Peace (JP).
- Scan and save (computer or storage device like a USB) a digital copy of your Certificate III and/or IV Qualification (new application only)
- Scan and save (computer or storage device like a USB) a digital copy of your Statement of Results (new application only)
- You will need to confirm that you have undertaken Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Have a credit card ready to pay for your licence fee online or alternatively you can pay at any Service Tasmania shop.
If you answer ‘yes’ to any of the questions below, you will need to provide details and copies of all relevant documentation.
In the last 10 years have you:
- Been refused a licence / registration / certificate to carry out any type of prescribed work?
- Had a licence / registration / certificate relating to prescribed work disqualified, cancelled, suspended?
- Had conditions placed on a licence / registration / certificate relating to prescribed work?
- Been dismissed by an employer for any type of unsafe or defective prescribed work?
- Had disciplinary action taken against you by an employer for any type unsafe prescribed work?
- Been convicted of an offence of dishonesty or of an offence relating to prescribed work? (If you have been issued with an Infringement Notice relating to prescribed work, you should tick yes).
- Do you have any disability that will affect your ability to perform prescribed work safely?
This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.