What is a chargeback?
A chargeback is a reversal of a charge on a credit card, or debit card. It is similar to a refund.
The chargeback process is separate from other dispute resolution services, such as those through eBay or PayPal. Go to our Resolve your problem or complaint section for advice.
When can I request a chargeback?
You can request a chargeback for a number of reasons, most commonly when:
- you pay for products or services with a credit card or debit card, and:
- the products or services received are not as described
- you do not receive the products or services at all or within the agreed timeframe.
- there are duplicate or fraudulent transactions
- charges are made without your permission
- unrecognised transactions appear
- the business you purchased products or services from stops operating and you did not get what you paid for.
When consumers cannot request a chargeback
Sometimes a chargeback may not be available. For example, if you:
- pay with cash, money transfer, cheque, direct debit or BPAY
- are eligible to lodge an insurance claim
- have already received compensation.
Chargeback time limits
There are time limits on making a chargeback. You should contact the bank or credit card provider straight away.
Chargeback requests made outside the time limits may be rejected. You can dispute a rejected chargeback request through the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).
FOS is an independent service helping to resolve disputes between consumers and member financial services, such as banks and credit card providers.
This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.