Plumbing licence - contractor

You need a Plumbing contractor’s licence if you are entering into a contract to perform plumbing work in Tasmania.


The plumbing work that you can contract for is limited to the scope of work that can be performed under the nominated manager’s practitioner’s licence.

A Nominated Manager must hold a current Tasmanian Practitioner (Certifier) licence for the relevant occupation. If you do not hold this licence, first complete a Practitioner Licence Application.

If you hold a plumbing contractor’s licence in another State or Territory, you may be eligible to have that licence automatically recognised in Tasmania. The Working as a Plumber in Tasmania - Information for AMR deemed registrations infosheet has more information on this.

Can I have more than one nominated manager?

You can have more than one nominated manager if your circumstances require, for example, a business may appoint more than one person to ensure the business has the necessary skills during leave periods or to expand the scope of work that can be performed by the business.

A contracting licence cannot be approved without a suitable Nominated Manager.


Read the information on this licence page so you know what to do and what documents to provide.

  1. Read the Personal Information Protection Statement
  2. Scan and save (computer or storage device like a USB) digital copies of the following;
    1. A Certificate of Currency for insurance.
    2. Company or Business Name copy of Registration (if using a name other than your own personal name)
    3. Your Certificate III and IV Qualification (new application only)
    4. Your Statement of Results (new application only)
    5. Confirmation of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) (renewal only)
  3. Have a credit card ready to pay for your licence fee online or at Service Tasmania shop.


The insurance must be in the trading name of the business (sole trader, business or company) and must cover personal injury and damage to property for at least $5 million for any one occurrence in respect of Public Liability and in the annual aggregate in respect of Products Liability.


Applications for licences take 21 days to assess and process. You will receive a response to your application within this time.


If you answer ‘yes’ to any of the questions below, you will need to provide details and copies of all relevant documentation.

In the last 10 years has the company/business or the owner(s) or Director(s) of the company/business:

  1. Been convicted of an offence of dishonesty or of an offence relating to prescribed work? (If an Infringement Notice relating to prescribed work has been issued to the company/business or to the owner(s) or Director(s), you should tick yes)
  2. Settled a civil action or had a civil judgment given against them in their capacity as a contractor?
  3. Had a licence / registration / certificate relating to prescribed work refused, disqualified, cancelled or suspended?
  4. Had conditions placed on a licence / registration / certificate relating to prescribed work?
  5. Been declared bankrupt, been discharged from bankruptcy, entered into arrangements with creditors or assigned their property to pay debts?
  6. Been subject to a 'winding up' order or had a controller appointed or been placed in receivership, administration or under official management or entered into other arrangements with creditors due to insolvency?
  7. Is the company/business insolvent or in receivership?

Apply for a licence Renew a licence

Related information

Updated: 29 Nov 2022

This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.