Commercial agent trust accounts

  • A commercial agent must maintain a trust account in an authorised deposit taking institution in Tasmania, for example a bank or credit union
  • All money received from clients must be deposited into this trust account
  • The trust account must be audited each financial year
  • An audit report must be provided to CBOS by 30 September each year. The report must be returned even if the trust account balance is zero. The report should contain the following:
    • the name and location of any trust account holding deposits
    • the amount of all deposits in the trust account
    • a balance statement of the trust account
    • a report from the auditor stating the agent has kept proper accounting records and other books during this period.
  • Audits are to be carried out by a person who is a member of:
    • the Institute of Chartered Accountants or
    • the Australian Society of Certified Practicing Accountants  or
    • the National Institute of Accountants.
Updated: 17 Jan 2023

This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.