Engineer licence

There are three sub-classes of licensed engineers.

  1. Engineer fire safety This class is unrestricted in the field of fire safety engineering and includes deemed-to-satisfy and performance solutions. Fire safety engineering is the application of engineering principles, rules and expert judgement based on a scientific appreciation of fire and its effects, and of the reaction and behaviour of people in the event of fire.
  2. Engineer building services This class is unrestricted in the field of building services and includes deemed-to-satisfy and performance solutions. Building services may include mechanical building services, hydraulic building services, electrical building services, fire safety systems, building acoustics and energy management in buildings.
  3. Engineer civil This class is unrestricted in the field of civil engineering and includes deemed-to-satisfy and performance solutions. Civil engineering may include civil, structural, geotechnical and environmental engineering.


For an engineer to be licensed in Tasmania they must have a degree for the relevant engineer sub-class and satisfy the relevant experience requirement, or be listed on the National Engineers Register (external link) or be recognised by Engineers Australia (external link) as a Chartered Professional Engineer

All building service providers must act only within the area of their competence, as detailed in the Occupational Licensing (Building Services Work) Determination (PDF, 836.0 KB).

CPD (Continuing Professional Development)

As a licence holder, you are required to maintain and develop skills and knowledge through ongoing learning activities known as Continuing Professional Development or CPD. Find out more information about CPD points, training providers, CPD events calendar and training resources.


  1. Read the information on this licence page so you know what to do and what documents to provide
  2. Read the Personal Information Protection Statement
  3. Provide evidence of your identity (Tasmanians and people living interstate / New Zealand) (new application only)
  4. Have a photo taken for your licence card at any Service Tasmania shop (external link) (Tasmanian applicants only)
    1. Interstate and overseas applicants will need to provide a passport size photo certified by a Commissioner for Declarations or a Justice of the Peace (JP).
  5. Refer to pages 30 to 33 of the Occupational Licensing (Building Services Work) Determination (PDF, 836.0 KB) to see what you need to satisfy the requirements to make an application (new application only)
  6. If you are not listed on the National Engineers Register or a chartered professional engineer, then you need to scan and save (computer or storage device like a USB) a digital copy of your curriculum vitae (CV) (new application only) Your CV should include:
    1. a copy of your qualifications
    2. a list of projects you have worked on
    3. dates of the projects
    4. NCC building class of the projects
    5. project size in square metres
    6. number of storeys
  7. If you are not listed on the National Engineers Register or a Chartered Professional Engineer, then you need to scan and save (computer or storage device like a USB) a digital copy of at least one written reference, which should be from a senior engineer attesting to your years of experience in the field you wish to be licenced in, to your online application (new application only)
  8. If you are listed on the National Engineers Register or a Chartered Professional Engineer, then you will need to supply evidence of your registration.
  9. Scan and save (computer or storage device like a USB) a digital copy of your certificate of current for professional indemnity insurance ($1 million minimum) (new application and renewal)
  10. Applicants may be asked to attend an interview at the nearest Consumer, Building and Occupational Services office if requested to do so as part of the application process.  Failure to attend as requested may be considered as non-compliance with the application process and may cause an application to be refused (new application only)
  11. You will need to confirm that you have undertaken Continuing Professional Development (CPD) (renewal only)
  12. Have a credit card ready to pay licence fee online or at any Service Tasmania shop
  13. If your licence photo has expired, My Licence allows you to upload a suitable, certified photograph

If your application is successful, you will receive confirmation within 21 days.


You need to answer the following questions in your online application. If you answer ‘yes’ to any of the questions below, you will need to provide details and copies of all relevant documents.

  1. Have you in the last 10 years been convicted of a criminal offence (other than a minor traffic offence) or are any court proceedings pending?
  2. Have you ever been disqualified from holding, or refused an application for, registration or licence as a building practitioner, or have you had any occupational licence or certificate cancelled or suspended (including interstate licences, certificates or registrations)?
  3. In respect of any work you have done in an equivalent position, have you ever been fined, reprimanded or cautioned for any breach of rules, professional code of conduct or code of ethics?
  4. Been declared bankrupt, been discharged from bankruptcy, entered into arrangements with creditors in the last 10 years?
  5. Have you, in the past 10 years, been a director, secretary or a person in a position to control or substantially influence a company's conduct or affairs within 12 months of that company being placed in receivership, administration, official administration, under a deed of company arrangement, in liquidation or wound up for the benefit of creditors?
  6. Have you undertaken Continuous Professional Development during the last licence period? (renewal only)
  7. Is there a record that Continuous Professional Development has been completed? (renewal only)

Apply for a licence Renew a licence

Related information

Updated: 15 Sep 2022

This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.