Hiring security services

You must only hire a person or business authorised to provide security services.  Any person or company hired to provide security services must:

  • be licenced
  • have the correct licence activity endorsed on their licence.

Checking a licence

Anyone authorised to provide security services is issued with a licence. Ask them to show you their licence and make sure they are authorised to perform the required work. The licence has:

  • a photograph of the person
  • the person's name
  • licence number
  • expiry date
  • the activities the person is licensed to undertake.

Examples where licensed security may be required

  • trade shows
  • general shows or fairs
  • concerts
  • sporting events
  • business or social functions
  • general public gatherings (e.g. demonstrations).
Updated: 17 Jan 2023

This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.