The following risk-based occupations require a higher standard of personal identification as part of an application than is generally provided:
- Registering to work with vulnerable people
- Security and investigation agents
- Motor vehicle traders
These applications (new or renewals) require you to provide four pieces of identification.
The Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC) is imposing new proof of identity requirements to:
- minimise identity theft risks and
- further protect the safety of children.
The combination of identity documents must contain an applicant's:
- Given name and family name in full
- Date of birth
Once you have completed your online application, take your email receipt along with the necessary identity documents to a Service Tasmania shop (external link) to finalise your application or renewal. You can either:
- print out your application email receipt or
- show the receipt on your mobile phone.
If you didn't provide an email address you will need to provide the reference number which was on your screen immediately after submitting the application.
Types of documents you will need
- One Commencement of identity document
- One Primary use in community document
- Two secondary use in community documents
IMPORTANT: All documents presented as proof of identity must be current. You can contact us if you do not have access to the document listed.
Commencement of identity documents
|Primary use in community documents|
(show one of these)
|Secondary use in community documents|
(show two of these)
** If you don't have evidence of your current visa, contact the Australian Department of Home Affairs
Reasons not accepted for being unable to prove identity
- You find the proof of identity process inconvenient or time-consuming
- You do not understand the identity requirements - contact us and we will help you understand the requirements
- The documents are lost, damaged or expired - you will need to replace or renew the documents first or use an alternative.
Note: if you were born in Australia and do not have a commencement document, contact your the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the state or territory where you were born to get a certificate unless you have evidence your birth was not registered.
All proof of identity documents must include the applicant's full name. If documents show a former name, evidence of any name change must be included in addition to the four ID documents. These can include:
- Change of Name Registration issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages; Deed Poll or overseas issuing authority
- Marriage Certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages (or interstate/overseas registry office equivalent) Note: church or celebrant issued certificates are not accepted
- Divorce papers issued by Court, indicating the name being reverted to
- Guardianship Order
- Relationship certificate
- Adoption papers issued by Court
This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.