Proof of identity requirements

The following risk-based occupations require a higher standard of personal identification as part of an application than is generally provided:

  • Registering to work with vulnerable people
  • Security and investigation agents
  • Motor vehicle traders
  • Conveyancers

These applications (new or renewals) require you to provide four pieces of identification.

The Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC) is imposing new proof of identity requirements to:

  • minimise identity theft risks and
  • further protect the safety of children.

The combination of identity documents must contain an applicant's:

  • Given name and family name in full
  • Date of birth
  • Photograph

Once you have completed your online application, take your email receipt along with the necessary identity documents to a Service Tasmania shop (external link) to finalise your application or renewal. You can either:

  • print out your application email receipt or
  • show the receipt on your mobile phone.

If you didn't provide an email address you will need to provide the reference number which was on your screen immediately after submitting the application.

Types of documents you will need

  • One Commencement of identity document
  • One Primary use in community document
  • Two secondary use in community documents

IMPORTANT:  All documents presented as proof of identity must be current. You can contact us if you do not have access to the document listed.

Commencement of identity documents
(show one of these)

Primary use in community documents
(show one of these)
Secondary use in community documents
(show two of these)
  • Full Australian Birth Certificate (not an Extract or commemorative certificate) issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages
  • Australian passport
  • Australian Visa current at the time of entry into Australia as a resident or tourist supported by current overseas passport **
  • Australian Government issued immiCard enabling the cardholder to prove their visa and/or migration status and enrol in services **
  • Identity certificate issued by Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) to:
    • refugees and non-Australian citizens for entry into Australia
    • Australian citizens who have the nationality of a Commonwealth country for travel purposes
  • Australian citizenship or naturalisation certificate (including Citizenship by Descent)

** If you don't have evidence of your current visa, contact the Australian Department of Home Affairs

  • Current Australian driver’s licence, learner permit or provisional licence issued with a signature and photo
  • Australian marriage certificate  (church or celebrant-issued certificates are not accepted)
  • Current overseas passport with a valid visa
  • Current proof of age or photo identity card issued by an Australian Government agency with a signature and photo
  • Current firearms licence showing a signature and photo (not minor or junior permit or licence)
  • A current student identification card for persons under 18 years of age
  • Medicare card
  • Australian security guard or crowd control licence
  • Department of Veteran Affairs or Centrelink pensioner concession card or other entitlement card issued by Australian Government 
    Note: card or interim letter are suitable evidence - statements will not be accepted
  • Consular photo identity card issued by DFAT
  • Photo identity card issued by the Australian Defence Force
  • Police force ID card issued to an officer
  • Student identity card with photo issued by educational institution - if no expiry date, will be accepted up to two years from issue date
  • Academic transcript from an Australian university up to 12 months from issue date
  • Council rates assessment notice issued within the last 12 months old
  • Utility bill issued within the last 12 months showing applicant's name and address
  • Plastic bank account or credit card, with family name, given name in full and signature
    Note: to use more than one bank or credit card as a secondary community document, the cards must be from different financial institutions
  • Bank statement or letter issued within the last 12 months including applicant's family name and given name in full, account number or account type and financial institution letterhead or branch stamp

Reasons not accepted for being unable to prove identity

  • You find the proof of identity process inconvenient or time-consuming
  • You do not understand the identity requirements - contact us and we will help you understand the requirements
  • The documents are lost, damaged or expired - you will need to replace or renew the documents first or use an alternative.

Note: if you were born in Australia and do not have a commencement document, contact your the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the state or territory where you were born to get a certificate unless you have evidence your birth was not registered.

Name changes

All proof of identity documents must include the applicant's full name. If documents show a former name, evidence of any name change must be included in addition to the four ID documents. These can include:

  • Change of Name Registration issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages; Deed Poll or overseas issuing authority
  • Marriage Certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages (or interstate/overseas registry office equivalent)  Note: church or celebrant issued certificates are not accepted
  • Divorce papers issued by Court, indicating the name being reverted to
  • Guardianship Order
  • Relationship certificate
  • Adoption papers issued by Court

Related links

Updated: 25 Jul 2022

This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.