Proof of identity requirements

The easiest way to prove your identity is to show your Australian Driver’s Licence with your full legal name and current residential address.

If you don’t have a driver’s licence, you must provide at least three (3) documents from the lists below, either:

  • one document from Category A plus two documents from Category B, or
  • two documents from Category A plus one document from Category B.

Category A Documents

  • Australian Birth Certificate (not an Extract or commemorative certificate) issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages
  • Australian Citizenship papers
  • Australian Passport (can be expired up to 2 years)
  • Overseas Passport/Visa
  • Australian Driver’s Licence (can be expired up to 2 years)
  • Australian Firearm Licence
  • Tasmanian Government Personal Information Card (displaying full name)
  • Department of Immigration & Citizenship issued travel documents, including a Visa
  • Department of Immigration & Citizenship Certificate of Evidence of Resident Status.

Category B Documents

  • Medicare Card
  • Bank or Credit Card
  • Student Identity Card with photo issued by an Australian Educational Institution
  • Department of Veterans Affairs/Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card
  • Births, Deaths & Marriages Change of Name/Marriage Certificate or Deed Poll.

At least one document must show your date of birth and current Australian residential address (if you live in Australia). If you are still living overseas, you must supply an Australian postal address.

All documents must be original (certified copies are not accepted unless you are applying from interstate or overseas).

All documents must be in English, or accompanied by an English translation from an accredited translator.

Overseas Birth Certificates will not be accepted.

Evidence of name change

If your identity documents don't show your new name, you must provide one of the following:

  • Marriage Certificate issued by Births, Deaths & Marriages (or interstate/overseas Registry Office equivalent) - Church or Celebrant issued certificates are not acceptable
  • Divorce Paper indicating the name being reverted to, as issued by a Court
  • Change of Name Registration issued by Births, Deaths & Marriages or Deed Poll
  • Guardianship Order issued by the relevant Authority
  • Adoption Paper issued by a Court.

Evidence of residential address

If your identity documents don’t show your current residential address, you must provide one original document (less than 6 months old) from the following:

  • Bank statement
  • Power, Water or Telephone Account with evidence of payment
  • Council Rate Notice
  • Lease or Rent Agreement
  • Land Tax Valuation Notice
  • Australian Taxation Office Assessment (current or last financial year)
  • Certificate of Title.

Related links

Updated: 22 Aug 2019