Owner builder permits

Under the Building Act 2016 there are only two ways for a landowner to engage in a building project which requires a Certificate of Likely Compliance:

  1. have a contract with a licensed builder or
  2. become an owner builder to manage or carry out the building work themselves.

Owner Builder Permits are issued under the Occupational Licensing Act 2005 (the Act).  The Act seeks to allow genuine owner builders to undertake building work and prevent people without the appropriate licence engaging in illegal building activities. Owner builders are limited to two 1a building projects in ten years.

The Owner Builder Permit allows a non-licensed person to perform the work of a licensed builder.

An owner builder has the same responsibilities as a licensed builder.

All building projects by owner builders also require a building permit from the local council. This permit relates to the actual building work and gives permission to build a particular project, once the designs have been assessed as likely to comply with national standards and Tasmanian legislation.

Read the Fact Sheet - Owner builder work (PDF, 246.0 KB)

For more details regarding granting Owner Builder Permits including eligibility of applicants, scope of work permitted, insurance and the number of projects permitted, see Part 6 of the Building Services Work Determination 2019 (PDF, 650.2 KB)

Important information about your Owner Builder Permit

  • Only individual “natural” persons who own the land and premises may apply for an Owner Builder Permit.
  • All persons listed on the certificate of title must complete the application form.
  • Companies, trusts and self-managed superannuation funds are excluded from applying for an Owner Builder Permit.
  • At least one owner must undertake the approved Tasmanian Owner Builder Training Course (mandatory from 1 September 2013).  This course must be successfully completed within 12 months before you submit your Owner Builder Permit application. You are not required to complete this course if you are applying to construct a Class 8, 10a or 10b building.
  • There are three Owner Builder Responsibilities approved courses for you to choose from (refer to Step 3).  Every applicant must also hold a Construction Induction Card (White Card (external link).
  • An applicant for an Owner Builder Permit must have engaged a licensed building surveyor in respect of the work to be performed as an owner builder.
  • The Administrator of Occupational Licensing will check the applicant’s eligibility and if approved, will issue a permit.
  • A letter of approval with a permit number is issued to the approved applicant.

Application form


Read the list of current licence fees


  • An applicant is to hold an insurance policy to provide indemnity in respect to personal and property damage caused by an occurrence in building work carried out or managed by the holder.
  • The insurance policy is to include construction liability cover for the damage to existing property where the Owner Builder Permit holder has physical or legal control of premises.
  • The amount and period of insurance is to:
    • be not less than $5 million and
    • be held prior to the commencement of any building works and
    • continue until a Certificate of Completion (building work) is granted.


An application for an Owner Builder Permit is to be lodged by:

Permit expiry date

A Owner Builder Permit will expire on the completion of the project.

Cancellation of a permit

The Administrator of Occupational Licensing can cancel an Owner Builder Permit if necessary – such as where an owner builder is in breach of the Permit conditions.

Updated: 28 Jul 2022

This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.