- have a contract with a licensed builder or
- become an owner builder to manage or carry out the building work themselves.
An owner builder has the same responsibilities as a licensed builder.
All building projects by owner builders also require a building permit from the local council. This permit relates to the actual building work and gives permission to build a particular project, once the designs have been assessed as likely to comply with national standards and Tasmanian legislation.
Applying for an owner builder permit
- Only individual “natural” persons who own the land and premises may apply for an owner builder permit.
- At least one owner must undertake the approved Tasmanian Owner Builder Training Course (mandatory from the 1 September 2013). This course must be successfully completed within 12 months prior to the date of an owner builder permit application. You are not required to complete this course if you are applying to construct a 10a or 10b building.
- There are three Owner Builder Responsibilities approved courses. Every applicant must also hold a Construction Induction card (White Card).
- An applicant for an owner builder permit must have engaged a licensed building surveyor in respect of the work to be performed as an owner builder.
- The Administrator of Occupational Licensing will check the applicant’s eligibility and if approved, will issue a permit.
- A letter of approval with a permit number is issued to the approved applicant.
- Application for Owner Builder Permit (pdf, 501.6 KB) This form is for print purposes only
- Application for Owner Builder Permit (DOCX, 274.7 KB) This form can be completed online
- An applicant is to hold an insurance policy to provide indemnity in respect to personal and property damage caused by an occurrence in building work carried out or managed by the holder.
- The insurance policy is to include construction liability cover for the damage to existing property where the owner builder permit holder has physical or legal control of premises.
- The amount and period of insurance is to be not less than $5 million and is to be held prior to the commencement of any building works and is to continue until a Certificate of Completion (building work) is granted. An application for an owner builder permit is to be lodged at a Service Tasmania shop and the owner builder permit fee paid.
- Lodge an application for an owner builder permit at any Service Tasmania shop
- Pay owner builder permit fee