Automatic Mutual Recognition (AMR)

AMR has commenced for the majority of occupational licences administered by CBOS.

Read more about automatic mutual recognition for occupational licences


Becoming an owner builder

9 Steps to becoming an owner builder

Step 1

  • Develop your plans with an architect or accredited building designer and decide whether you want to become an owner builder.

Step 2

  • Engage a Building Surveyor. This person will certify the plans and give a copy of your plans to the local Council.

Step 3

Note: Owner builder course is not required if you are building a non-habitable structure such as a shed

Step 4

  • Ensure that you have public and construction liability insurance for no less than five million dollars (please refer to the full detail on insurance requirements).

Step 5

  • Complete an application form. All persons listed on the certificate of title for your property must complete the application form. Only one person needs to complete the Owner Builder and Construction Induction (White Card) Course.
  • Ensure that you include the evidence of insurance, White Card and Owner Builder course (if required – for Class 1a builds only) with the application form.

Step 6

  • The application form and supporting documents are to be lodged:
  • Pay the Owner Builder Permit fee. NOTE: you can pay by credit card, cheque or money order (made payable to Consumer, Building and Occupational Services)

Step 7

  • If approval of the application is granted, the Administrator of Occupational Licensing will issue a letter of confirmation (The Permit) with a permit number. The building surveyor will then issue you with a Certificate of Likely Compliance.

Step 8

  • You now need to apply for a building permit from your local council. You will need to include the following with your application for a building permit:
    • all design documents
    • a copy of the approved letter for an Owner Builder Permit and
    • the Certificate of Likely Compliance

Step 9

You can start work once you have received the following from your local council (Permit Authority):

  • a building permit
  • plumbing permit and
  • planning permit if required.

Earthmoving and excavations must not be started without the start work authorisation from the building surveyor.

Read the Fact Sheet - Owner builder work (PDF, 246.0 KB)

Where to next

Updated: 25 Jul 2022

This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.