9 Steps to becoming an owner builder
- Develop your plans with an architect or accredited building designer and decide whether you want to become an owner builder.
- Engage a Building Surveyor. This person will certify the plans and give a copy of your plans to the local Council.
- Book in and complete:
- the Tasmanian Owner Builder Responsibilities Course (must be a Tasmanian approved course) - this is not required for Class 10a or 10b buildings; and
- the Construction Induction card (White Card) course (external link) required for construction works for all Owner Builder Permits (Classes 1a, 8 and 10a and b buildings)
Note: Owner builder course is not required if you are building a non-habitable structure such as a shed
- Ensure that you have public and construction liability insurance for no less than five million dollars (please refer to the full detail on insurance requirements).
- Complete an application form. All persons listed on the certificate of title for your property must complete the application form. Only one person needs to complete the Owner Builder and Construction Induction (White Card) Course.
Ensure that you include the evidence of insurance, White Card and Owner Builder course (if required – for Class 1a builds only) with the application form.
- The application form and supporting documents are to be lodged at a Service Tasmania shop.
- Pay the Owner Builder Permit fee.
- If approval of the application is granted, the Administrator of Occupational Licensing will issue a letter of confirmation (The Permit) with a permit number. The building surveyor will then issue you with a Certificate of Likely Compliance.
- You now need to apply for a building permit from your local council. You will need to include the following with your application for a building permit:
- all design documents
- a copy of the approved letter for an Owner Builder Permit and
- the Certificate of Likely Compliance
- Before you start building, you must provide your building surveyor with a Start Work Notification and Authorisation - Building Work Form (DOCX, 26.3 KB).
- a building permit
- plumbing permit and
- planning permit if required.