Automatic Mutual Recognition (AMR)

AMR has commenced for the majority of occupational licences administered by CBOS.

Read more about automatic mutual recognition for occupational licences


Moving in as an owner builder

  • The owner builder will need to complete and send an Application for An Occupancy Permit to the Building Surveyor.
  • The Building Surveyor will assess if the critical works are completed (including smoke alarms, sanitation, and water supply) before issuing an Occupancy Permit.
  • A copy of the permit will be sent to the local council (Permit Authority).

Read the Fact Sheet - Owner builder work (PDF, 246.0 KB)

Updated: 28 Jul 2022

This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.