Occupational Licence holders are required to maintain and develop their skills and knowledge through ongoing learning activities, referred to as Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
Maintaining and developing your knowledge, skills and competence in today’s ever changing environment is vital to provide a higher standard of service to consumers and assist you in regulatory compliance. The importance of CPD should not be underestimated. It is an ongoing process which should continue throughout your career.
Broadly, CPD includes all professional development (training) you need to keep doing your job. This includes keeping your skills and knowledge up to date to make sure you can do the job safely and competently.
The learning may relate to technical and practical skills, business competencies, laws affecting the industry, or personal and professional development relevant to your trade.
These skills may be gained formally through courses or training, or by attending and participating in approved CPD events and activities.
What will CPD do for you?
CPD will help you:
- continue to expand your knowledge and skills
- meet professional standards
- meet public expectations
- meet regulatory requirements.
Consumer, Building and Occupation Services (CBOS) is responsible for licensing building service providers, electrical workers, plumbers, gas-fitters and automotive gas-fitters. As part of the renewal process all licence holders must confirm their compliance with CPD.
Where to next
- CPD for licence holders and contractors - directs you to all the information you need to know as a licence holder in planning and maintaining your CPD requirements
- CPD for training providers - directs you to all the information when applying for CPD points and its process
- CPD events calendar - shows the range of training events available by either industry and date. It also includes additional training resources with links to other approved training providers
- CPD - ongoing training - shows a list of CPD activities that are available on an ongoing basis
- CPD - additional training resources - provides additional lists of approved CPD training providers and their links
This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.