To assist training providers in applying for continuing professional development (CPD) approval, we have provided some information below on how to meet the criteria.
Examples of subjects that CPD can cover
- Technical courses - Certificate, Diploma or Degree units and revising/updating of these
- Related technical skills - waterproofing, rendering, Australian Standards updates/refresher courses, industry association industry forums/updates
- Business topics - management, financial planning, strategic planning, succession planning, taxation laws
- Health and safety issues - work health and safety laws, first aid training, focus on a specific risk such as asbestos
- Personal development - leadership, assertiveness, dealing with bullying, conflict resolution and communication
Consideration when applying for CPD approval
- Is the presenter/trainer suitably qualified and/or competent and able to validate demonstrated experience in the area they are presenting/training in?
- Content: Has the content been outlined? This is what you what you will cover in the training session.
- Learning outcome(s): Have the learning outcome(s) been identified? This is what the attendee must be able to do at the conclusion of the training e.g “The attendee will be able to demonstrate…”.
- Practical application: Will the attendee be provided with opportunities to practice what they have learnt?
- Assessment: Are there ways to check for understanding e.g questioning opportunities, handout notes and quizzes?
Where to next
- How to apply for CPD points - outlines how to apply for CPD approval.
- Assessment process for approval - step by step guide of the approval assessment process
- Completion of approval process - explains the final stage of the approval process
- Occupational Licensing (Continuing Professional Development) Determination 2018 (PDF 202.0 KB – CPD requirements for practitioners
- Occupational Licensing (Building Services Work) Determination 2019 (PDF,650.2 KB) - Licensing requirements for building services providers including CPD requirements.
- his document covers all licensing requirements including the legislative obligations of Continuing Professional
- Occupational Licensing (Approved Courses of Training) Determination 2017 (PDF, 498.2 KB) - Approved training courses or competencies required for electricians, plumbers, gas-fitters and auto gas-fitters.
This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.