CBOS assesses continuing professional development (CPD) activities for approval to ensure that CPD remains high quality and of value to practitioners. The assessment process is as follows:
- CBOS receives a completed application from a training provider (for more information on how to apply, visit this page: How to apply for CPD points.
- Once the application is checked for completeness, it is progressed for assessment
- The appropriate technical area will make an assessment of the application against the relevant requirements (see Meeting the criteria – how we assess the CPD activity). If we need further information at this stage we will contact the training provider.
- The Administrator of Occupational Licensing will either approve or refuse the application for CPD points. The applicant will be notified of the outcome via email. This will include the points allocated (if applicable) or the reasons for refusal.
- If the training is approved for CPD, CBOS will place the details on the CBOS website on the CPD calendar.
The application assessment process may take up to two (2) weeks from the date a complete application is received. Therefore the sooner we receive your application, the better, as this will give you more time to advertise your event and ensure greater attendance.
Course approval is valid for two years, provided there are no changes to the structure and learning outcomes. If changes are made, the training provider must submit a new application for CPD approval.
CBOS monitors courses on a regular basis. The Administrator may withdraw approval of training courses if they deem that the course no longer meets the CPD framework or learning outcome requirements. CBOS will notify the training provider if this occurs.
- How to apply for CPD points - outlines how to apply for CPD approval
- Meeting the criteria - how CPD activities are assessed - outlines the subjects that CPD can cover and requirements to gain CPD approval
- Completion of approval process - explains the final stage of the approval process
- Occupational Licensing (Continuing Professional Development) Determination 2018 (PDF, 202.0 KB) – CPD requirements for practitioners
- Occupational Licensing (Building Services Work) Determination 2019 (PDF, 650.2 KB) – Licensing requirements for building services providers including CPD requirements
- Occupational Licensing (Approved Courses of Training) Determination 2017 (PDF, 498.2 KB) - Approved training courses or competencies required for electricians, plumbers, gas-fitters and auto gas-fitters
This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.