You can claim a bond at the end of the tenancy, when everyone has moved out and returned the keys.
The owner must:
- give the tenant(s) a signed Bond Claim Form (pdf, 179.1 KB) within three days, or tell the tenant(s) why they have not yet finalised the bond claim and
- give the tenant(s) a list of reasons for any claim they are making to the bond.
If the owner is unsure of how much to claim, they should:
- liaise with the tenants or
- claim the whole bond value and give to the tenant(s) with reasons, then finalise the amount with the Rental Deposit Authority (RDA) as soon as possible
- lodge a claim form without a tenant’s signature only if they have been unable to contact the tenant, or Rental Services has not received the claim form within 10 days of the tenant receiving it.
How to claim a bond
A tenant must:
- sign the bond claim form and send it to Rental Services within 10 days after receiving it
- enter a different amount to be paid if they disagree with the claim
- never sign a blank form
- contact the agent/owner if they have not received a bond claim form within three days, or send their own claim form to Rental Services if they cannot contact the owner.
If the bond has been paid by Housing Connect, see Claim by owner to an assisted bond.
Rental Services will pay out the bond if:
- all the signatures on the Bond Claim form match those on the original Bond Lodgement Form or a Transfer form AND
- all the figures add up to the bond.
If Rental Services receives a claim form without a tenant’s signature, they will try to contact the tenant to let them know about the owner’s claim. The tenant must respond to this contact within 10 days, for example by sending in a Claim Form agreeing or disagreeing to the claim.
Disputed bond claims
The claim will be sent to the Residential Tenancy Commissioner as a dispute about a bond claim if the tenant:
- does not agree or
- cannot be contacted or
- does not respond within 10 days.
Claim by owner to an assisted bond
An owner may claim some or all of a bond paid by Housing Connect (Colony 47 or Anglicare).
Making a claim
An owner must:
- give the tenant a signed bond claim form within three days of the tenant moving out and handing back the keys, and
- give the tenant a list of any reasons for any claim they make.
Housing Connect bonds
- if the owner and tenant(s) agree a Housing Connect bond should be returned in full, send the claim form signed by the owner/agent and tenant(s) to Rental Services
- if a claim is being made on a Housing Connect bond send to Housing Connect:
- a completed claim form signed by the owner/agent and the tenant(s)
- an itemised account of the claim
- all relevant documents including the lease, condition reports and invoices.
- if the tenant(s) have not signed the claim form forward the form to Rental Services. Do not fax any supporting documents.
Disputing a claim
A tenant can dispute a claim even if Housing Connect paid all of the bond.
If Housing Connect paid all of the bond and signs the form, and the tenant does not respond to Rental Services, the claim will be paid out without going to dispute.
If you are unsure about your claim against Housing Connect bond, call Rental Services on 1300 654 499 or Housing Connect on 1800 800 588.
Bond claim by tenant
The owner/agent should provide a tenant with a signed bond claim form within three days of the end of the tenancy, or explain to the tenant why they have not yet finalised the claim form.
If the owner is making a claim, they must also give the tenant a list of reasons for the claim. If they do not, ask them for a list.
A tenant can only send their own claim form to Rental Services if:
- they have not received a signed claim form from the owner/agent within three days of moving out and handing back the keys and
- the owner/agent has not explained why they have not provided one.
When Rental Services receives a claim form signed only by a tenant, they will contact the owner/agent. If the owner/agent:
- does not respond to the RDA with a claim form within 10 working days, the RDA will pay the bond to the tenant as claimed
- responds to the RDA with a claim form agreeing to the tenants’ claim, the RDA will return the bond as agreed between the tenant and owner
- responds to the RDA with a claim disagreeing with the tenant’s claim, the bond will go to dispute with the Commissioner’s office.
It is important that the details on the claim form are correct and that you update your address with Rental Services so that all correspondence is sent to your current address.
Bond claim by other contributor
If another organisation listed on the Bond Lodgement Form makes a claim against a bond, and the tenant or owner’s signature is missing, Rental Services will attempt to contact the other owner and tenant(s).
If the owner does not respond within 10 working days, Rental Services will pay the contribution to the organisation claiming.
The other parties can then lodge Claim Forms for their portions
How to lodge a claim form with the RDA
- email to email@example.com (the form must be a very clear image) or
- fax to RDA on 1300 737 487 or
- take to a Service Tasmania shop (external link)
The RDA will pay the bond to the parties in the proportions they agree to on the Claim Form. If one or more of the signatures is missing, the RDA will attempt to contact the other people who are registered against the bond record to find out whether they agree with the claim.